Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lonely Sunday Afternoon - Viimeinen iltapäivä

Kisu recorded "Viimeinen iltapäivä" (The last afternoon) in 1974 and while being a good song, it's sadly one of his lesser known songs. It was released on the B-side of his big home-made hit "Juustossa löytyy". The Finniah lyrics were done by Chrisse Johansson. The original was of Swedish origin and called "Lonely Sunday Afternoon". It was performed by Björn Skifs & Blåblus and co-written by Björn Skifs. At the time the group had just had a breakthrough in USA (as Blue Swede) with the number one hit "Hooked On A Feeling". So it's no wonder their records were sought-after cover material.

Here's the pair:

4 comments:

Soile said...

Awesome blog! Hey, maybe you could help me out? I've been looking for the song "Lady Barbara", sung by Veikko Salonen (Simon Scott) for so long, it was a favourite of mine when I was little and I wish I could hear it again. I've found English versions, but they're just not the same! If you don't have it, I understand - I've googled, browsed CD stores and some online music stores, to no avail. But if you do have it, you'd make me really, really happy if you could post it in your blog! :)

DM said...

Thanks for your kind words, Soile!
Sorry, but I don't have this Simon Scott song. The album (and the single) seems to be quite hard to obtain. But I promise that when I got of hold of it, I will publish it here immediately.
The original came from Italy. The song "Lady Barbara" won the "Un disco per l'estate " -competition in 1970 and it was performed by Renato dei Profeti (the lead singer Renato Brioschi of the group I Profeti). You can hear it here: http://youtu.be/4PEjcRYEXhg
The english version was done by Hermans Hermits.

magomusiikki said...

Maybe good to ask EMI Finland if Simon has recorded it there like some other songs too... They answer willingly to the requests at least...

Mukava kuulla Skifsin biisiä suomeksikin.
Muuten, olen yrittänyt myös etsiä Kujun levyttämän ´Neiti Saima Sund` biisin originaaliversiota, mutta turhaan... Jotain tuloksia kyllä löytyy, mutta biisiä ei netissä voi missään kuunnella kuitenkaan, kuuluu selvästikin sarjaan vinyylisinkkuharvinaisuudet, tätä nykyä. Eestin kielinen versio täällä muuten: http://heldurkarmo.net.ee/multimedia/Uno%20Loop%20-%20Kaunitar.mp3 .
Kutkuttaa saada tietää, onko originaali yhtä mainiosti svengaava kuin Kujun versio, sähkökitara puree hyvin esim. sillä. Melodia on kyllä hyvin toimiva...

DM said...

Olen itsekin yrittänyt löytää sen ranskalaisen Sergen alkuperäisen, mutta en ole onnistunut (vielä).