Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Did What I Did For Maria - Tein mitä tein vuoks Marian


Kristian Jernström aka Kisu, recorded "Tein mitä tein vuoks Marian" (I did what I did for Maria) in 1971 and it was released as a single, but received no greater attention. As far as I know, it has never been released on any of Kisu's albums. The lyrics were provided by Chrisse Johansson. The original song was a worldwide hit for Tony Christie. "I Did What I Did For Maria" was written by two successful British songwriters Peter Callander and Mitch Murray (b. Lionel Stitcher). The duo is perhaps best known for their collaboration in "The Night Chicago Died" and "Billy Don't Be A Hero". This "Maria" -song is thematically like the other famous murder and revenge ballad "Delilah". You can see Tony Christie perform the song here. BTW, on the other side of Kisu's single was another Tony Christie cover, "Las Vegas".

Here's the pair:

No comments: