Saturday, July 25, 2009

Talking To The Wall - Käyntikortti


We have now picked 300 Finncovers! To end our Country Jamboree I have a great pleasure to introduce a song that has been one of my all-time faovourites. Freeman (see previous entry) - recorded "Käyntikortti" (Visiting card) in 1976 on his first album. It was also released as a single, but wasn't such a big hit. But the song has stayed in his repertoire. The touching lyrics were written by our (and Freeman's) old friend , Hector.. There was also another Finnish cover made, that I didn't know of until recently, H Band (our Finnpicks 'Artist of the Week") recorded a quite different version with a title "Yhden palstan uutinen" (One column news) on their sole album "Taival". The original song was written by Bill Chadwick He was a friend of Monkee Michael Nesmith and Monkees recorded some of his tunes. This song "Talking To The Wall" ended up on Michaels solo album "Tantamount To Treason" in 1971. When I heard the song for the first time in 1975 or 1976, I thought that this would be great song to cover in Finnish. And obviously I was not the only one ...

Here's the triple:

No comments: